Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Love is NOT selfish



It seems to be apparent that in today's society everyone has to chase to the highest level of "happiness" possible. When your driving you see a lot of drivers with the "me first" mentality! It drives me crazy! I can't stand when someone pulls out in front of you when there's no one behind you! I try to think that they must need to be somewhere really important and thank God that I had eyes to see.
Almost every sinful action ever committed can be traced back to a selfish motive. It is something that we are born with and will struggle with it every day of our lives. Why do we hate this trait so much in others but justify it for ourselves. Everyday we are bombarded with obstacles, each of which we have to choose a selfish or unselfish way to resolve it.
I was blessed to be able to compete in a horse show earlier this evening and I am so glad I can still walk a little! (I'm soooooooo sore) I noticed there were many selfish actions throughout the evening. I wouldn't have noticed much before I read my devotion for the day. It opened my eyes and allowed me to see what many of us don't want to. For instance... When your riding around the ring and there's plenty of room on the rail... please move to the rail so the judge can see EVERYONE in the class... There were a few people that would ride around and block the judges view. Maybe its just me but I was bothered.
" Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves." - Philippians 2:3

When you prioritize the well-being of your husband, there is a resulting fulfillment that cannot be duplicated by selfish actions. This is a benefit that God created for those who truly demonstrate love!

My challenge today was to buy something for my husband that says "I was thinking of you today" ... I tried but only found one pair of jeans for Alan at salvation army. I plan to make a card for him before I go to bed... He will find it in the morning and hopefully it will boost his spirits for the day :)

No comments: