Wednesday, January 5, 2011

... Till the cows come home...

We are preparing for a big step in alan and my future... We are in the process of cleaning and building pens for the "Creekside Red Angus" herd. We are probably going to keep the name "Creekside Red Angus" because our farm doesn't have a name and we are going to keep the herd going I think it's rather fitting... Since we are also located by a creek!
There is a lot of stress that goes with this task. The preparations, the finances, the herd health... Etc...
We are excited to finally have the cows so close. I grew up taking care of these cows as well as showing them! I enjoy it just as much as my new passion for photography!

For my dads 30th birthday my mother bought him his first red angus cow (we called "mamma red"). Mamma red had a calf by her side (marigold) and was pregnant with bipper. Those three were our "foundation". Within the last year we had to part with bipper, which was a sad day... The last cow from the beginning pasted away. Now we have 18 head of cows! 15 years later! It's an amazing thing to see how your herd grow and bloodlines are refined. The calves look better and overall the herd is healthier!
I'm sure I will be updating with pictures sometime of these beautiful ladies soon!!!! As soon as our Internet is better!

No comments: